Bellingham, WA 98229
We provide solutions to your chemistry challenges. Dr. Berseth has sixteen years of experience working with a combination of thin films, coatings, solid state chemistry and materials characterization. We have experience managing projects and designing materials tests including mixed mode wear testing, UV weathering, and coating performance test method development. From many years of running an instrument center we have a deep knowledge of materials characterization and can provide testing plans and expert data interpretation.
Contact us for technical expertise with:
- Materials testing: test strategy advice or complete test method development in your lab including completion and reporting – tailored to your needs and budget.
- Chemistry and coatings projects: can range from paper research and advice to development work in your lab including completion and reporting – tailored to your needs and budget.
- Scientific and technical writing: white papers, grant proposals, journal articles, instruction manuals and SOPs.
University of Oregon, Eugene, 2004, Ph.D. Chemistry
University of California, Berkeley, 1999, M.S. Chemistry
University of California, San Diego, 1996, B.S. Chemistry
American Chemical Society
Samson Rope, Ferndale, WA, 2014-16, R&D Engineer II
Goal to design and evaluate ropes.
- Use complex problem solving to manage projects in stage gate system working with internal and external departments to create new and revised products, innovate and study rope properties.
- Find means of testing, comparing and improving UV weather ability of coatings.
- Developed means of comparing coating performance on fiber lever rather than rope level creating order of magnitude materials and time savings.
- Utilize statistical analysis of test data (JMP software) to analyze NCRs and set safety specifications.
- Design, test and set specifications for new rope products.
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2011-14
Wrote scientific spotlight articles for the Journal of the American Chemical Society
Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, 2008-16, Laboratory Manager
Goal to setup new instrument center.
- Setup laboratories, inventory management, safety plans, standard operating procedures and select instruments as the first person in this position.
- Manage instrument center with XRD, thermal evaporator, ICPMS-LA, AFM, DSC, TGA, and optical microscope.
- Teach renewable energy lab classes to high school students including construction and evaluation of dye sensitized solar cells.
Savannah River National Lab, Aiken, SC, 2005-08, Post-doctoral scientist
Goal to create improved hydrogen storage materials for vehicle applications.
- Investigated new composite materials that incorporated nano-materials into hydrides to improve performance.
- Wrote comprehensive review of complex metal hydride field for vehicle applications for a client vehicle company, grant proposal contributions, and several journal articles.
- Worked collaboratively with biologists and engineers to develop method for head-space gas analysis of bio-hydrogen production by cyanobacteria.
- “Memory storage in an all-photonic data flip-flop.” Polly Berseth, Ph.D Spotlight in Amer. Chem. Soc. 2012 (freelance technical writing).
- “Evaluation of experimental conditions that influence hydrogen production among heterocystous Cyanobacteria.” Yeager, C. M.; Milliken, C. E.; Bagwell, C. E.; Staples, L.; Berseth, P. A.; Sessions, H. T. J. Hyd. Energy 2011, 36(13), 7487.
- “Synthesis and Properties of Turbostratically Disordered, Ultrathin WSe2 Films.” Nguyen, N. T.; Berseth, P. A. et al. Chemistry of Materials, 2010, 22(9), 2750.
- “Carbon Nanomaterials as Catalysts for Hydrogen Uptake and Release in NaAlH4.” Berseth, P. A., Harter, A. G. et al. Nano Lett., 2009, 9 (4), 1501.
- Novel Catalytic Effects of Fullerene for LiBH4 Hydrogen Uptake and Release.” Wellons, M. S.; Berseth, P. A.; Zidan, R. Nanotechnology, 2009, 20(20), 204022.
- “High Temperature-Pressure Synthesis of Mixed Alanate Compounds.” Berseth, P. A.; Pittman, J.; et al. of Phys. Chem. Solids 2008, 69(9), 2141.
- “Investigation of the Thermodynamics Governing Metal Hydride Synthesis in the Molten State Process,” Stowe, A. C.; Berseth, P. A.; Laughlin, L.; Farrell, T. P.; Anton, D.; Zidan, R. Alloys Compounds, 2008, 465(1-2), 41.
- Doctoral dissertation: “Synthesis and Characterization of [(NbSe2)m(CrSe2)n] Superlattices.” Berseth, P. A., 2004.
- “Low Temperature Synthesis Using Modulated Elemental Reactants: A New Metastable Ternary Compound, NixMoSe2.” Berseth, P. A.; Hughes, T. A.; Schneidmiller, R.; Smalley, A.; Johnson, D. C. Solid St. Sci. 2002.
- “High-Nuclearity Metal-Cyanide Clusters: Assembly of a Cr8Ni6(CN)24 Cage with a Face-centered Cubic Geometry.” Berseth, P. A.; Sokol, J. J.; Shores, M. P.; Heinrich, J. L.; Long, J. R. Am. Chem. Soc. 2000.
- Masters thesis: “Directed Assembly of Cubic Metal-Cyanide Clusters.” Berseth, P. A.; 1999.
- “Molecular Prussian Blue Analogues: Synthesis and Structure of Cubic Cr4Co4(CN)12 and Co8(CN)12” Heinrich, J. L.; Berseth, P. A.; Long, J. R. J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Comm. 1998, 1231.
- “Aqueous Catalytic Disproportionation and Oxidation of Nitric Oxide.” MacNeil, J. H.; Berseth, P. A.; Westwood, G.; Trogler, W. C. Sci. Technol. 1998, 32, 876.
- “Catalytic Decomposition of Ammonium Nitrate in Superheated Aqueous Solutions.” MacNeil, J. H.; Zhang, H. T.; Berseth, P. A.; Trogler, W. C. Am. Chem. Soc. 1997, 119, 9738.
- “Mechanism of Nitrous Oxide Formation by Metal-Catalyzed Reduction of Nitric Oxide in Aqueous Solution.” MacNeil, J. H.; Berseth, P. A.; Bruner, E. L.; Perkins, T. L.; Wadia, Y.; Westwood, G.; Trogler, W. C. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1997, 119, 1668.
- “Hydrogen Storage” guest lecture Whatcom Community College physics class, Spring 2010.
- “Hydrogen Storage Materials” guest lecture Western Washington University chemistry class Winter 2010.
- “Development and Characterization of Complex Hydrides using Novel Techniques,” invited presentation at ASME Energy Nanotechnology International Conference, Santa Clara, California, 2007.
- “Exploration of Mixed Metal Hydride Materials,” presentation at Study of Matter at Extreme Conditions conference, Miami Beach, Florida, 2007.
- “Mixed Metal Complex Hydrides,” presentation at Regional ACS Meeting, Augusta, Georgia, 2006.
- “Designed Synthesis of Extended Solids: Synthesis of Novel [(NbSe2)m(CrSe2)n] Superlattices Using Modulated Elemental Reactants,” presentation at Materials Science Institute Timberline Conference, Timberline Lodge, Oregon, 2003.