Manufacturing Company in MA, 2010-2014
*Formulation of epoxy resin and polyurethane coatings for industrial applications
*Extensive testing of coatings, including mechanical and chemical testing
Belmont Polymer Associates,
Belmont, MA 2006-2010, 2014-present
*Selection and formulation of elastomers, composite resins, adhesives and coatings, especially polyurethanes, epoxies and acrylates,
thermally cured and radiation cured by ultraviolet light and electron beams.
* Selection of characterization techniques and interpretation of results.
* Assist small businesses in writing proposals to the US Government and in performing the research and development required in order to continue the programs through SBIR Phase II contracts and commercial development.
Laboratory and Facilities Manager
Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Cambridge, MA 02139
Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies 2004 – 2006
* Managed 28,000 square feet of laboratories, led compliance with all government and MIT- mandated safety and environmental requirements and supported a diverse array of research projects.
* Assured that all research facilities are maintained and updated.
* Provided technical expertise to materials science research programs related to protection of US Army soldiers from ballistic threats, chemical and biological agents, extremes of temperature and other threats.
* Constructed, operated and maintained laboratory equipment for research studies.
* Trained students, postdocs and visiting scientists.
Senior Research Scientist,
Science Research Laboratory,
Somerville, MA 1996-2004
*Small Business Innovation Research principal investigator on projects totaling more than $2M.
*Synthesized organic compounds and formulated adhesives, coatings and composite resins based upon epoxy, acrylate and urethane chemistry, designed composite lay-ups using vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) and cured with heat, UV light or Electron Beam.
* Synthesized and tested organophosphorous flame retardant resins.
*Characterized materials using FTIR and dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA), Liquid Chromatography (LC) and mechanical testing using ASTM and other standards.
* Prepared and evaluated PEM (proton exchange membranes) for direct methanol fuel cells.
* Compounded and tested inorganic polyphosphazene fluoroelastomers for aircraft hydraulic seal applications.
* Supervised two technicians and a research scientist.
*Maintained telephone and email contact with customers, planned research, wrote reports and proposals.
Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemistry,
Suffolk University, Boston, MA. 1995-1996, 2002.
*Taught Special Topics Course on Polymer Chemistry and Technology.
*Instructor in hands-on laboratory course in organic chemistry, taught synthetic techniques, chromatography, IR and GC.
Team Leader, Properties and Characterization Team,
Army Research Laboratory, Polymer Research Branch,
Watertown, MA. 1989-1995
*Evaluated high performance polyurethanes, shock absorbing polymers, polyvinyl chloride (a plastisol), chemically resistant elastomers and reaction injection molded (RIM) polymers.
*Synthesized and characterized materials using infrared, ultraviolet and fluorescence spectroscopy, HPLC, thermal and mechanical analysis.
*Interpreted the results of research, wrote reports and presented results orally.
*Directed three to eight technical personnel and wrote performance appraisals twice yearly.