Samson Rope, Ferndale, WA, 2014-16, R&D Engineer II
Goal to design and evaluate ropes.
- Use complex problem solving to manage projects in stage gate system working with internal and external departments to create new and revised products, innovate and study rope properties.
- Find means of testing, comparing and improving UV weather ability of coatings.
- Developed means of comparing coating performance on fiber lever rather than rope level creating order of magnitude materials and time savings.
- Utilize statistical analysis of test data (JMP software) to analyze NCRs and set safety specifications.
- Design, test and set specifications for new rope products.
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2011-14
Wrote scientific spotlight articles for the Journal of the American Chemical Society
Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, 2008-16, Laboratory Manager
Goal to setup new instrument center.
- Setup laboratories, inventory management, safety plans, standard operating procedures and select instruments as the first person in this position.
- Manage instrument center with XRD, thermal evaporator, ICPMS-LA, AFM, DSC, TGA, and optical microscope.
- Teach renewable energy lab classes to high school students including construction and evaluation of dye sensitized solar cells.
Savannah River National Lab, Aiken, SC, 2005-08, Post-doctoral scientist
Goal to create improved hydrogen storage materials for vehicle applications.
- Investigated new composite materials that incorporated nano-materials into hydrides to improve performance.
- Wrote comprehensive review of complex metal hydride field for vehicle applications for a client vehicle company, grant proposal contributions, and several journal articles.
- Worked collaboratively with biologists and engineers to develop method for head-space gas analysis of bio-hydrogen production by cyanobacteria.