Nextec Applications Inc., -Vista CA 1997 – 2003.
Advanced materials manufacturer utilizing patented polymer encapsulation technology serving the medical, industrial, military and consumer markets .
Vice President, Chief Technical Officer Reporting to president and CEO, responsible for all technical aspects of company including: Research and Development, Intellectual Property, Corporate Training, Outreach.
* Spearheaded technology development, validation, and commercialization for early stage start up company resulting in development of process, controls, equipment, quality control tests and product specifications.
* Extended technology across multiple product platforms and line extensions, which took the company from zero to $10 million in revenues.
* Built, planned and managed R&D, corporate training, outreach, laboratory services and intellectual property.
* Led effort to mount 4 challenges against patent infringement resulting in successful completion of all challenges.
* Developed tests and proof of performance demonstrations for validating the technology, including 3 test methods submitted to scientific governing bodies.
* Established processes and procedures including new product development process.
* Performed as technical expert for all technical corporate problems (R&D, manufacturing, quality, trouble shooting).
* Headed outreach effort to grow worldwide technology acceptance through presentations, publications, customer contact, and media interview in U.S., Asia, and Europe.
* Worldwide customer and supplier interactions for technical issues. Establishment and completion of joint research projects. Required extensive travel to Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, China and Europe.
Waters Corporation – Milford MA 1994 – 1997.
Analytical instrumentation company developing instruments and media for chemical separations serving the pharmaceutical, chemical, and research communities.
Director of RD&E.
Reporting to Vice President and General Manager of the Chemical Products Division. Duties included research, development, engineering, product scale-up and transfer to production, trouble shooting, Strategic business and technology planning.
* Directed of 30 scientists providing research, development and engineering.
* Developed and managed capital and operating budgets and 5-year technology plan.
* Management of human resources including: staffing, career development, training, safety programs, salary planning.
* Development and execution of workforce reduction program.
* Completed successful scale up for most successful product launch in company history.
* Completed transfer to manufacturing of 5 new product line extensions.
* Conceived and Co-invented sample preparation media, which resulted in 5 US patents and an IR 100 award.
Kimberly-Clark Corporation 1988 – 1994.
Personnel care products company specializing in products centered on absorbency and highspeed manufacturing.
Research Manager – Roswell GA 1993 – 1994.
Reporting to Vice President of Nonwovens products and technology development. Responsible for development, scale-up, transfer to mill and technical support for all surface modifications.
* Direction of 22 scientists providing research, development, implementation and support for nonwoven finishing including wettable and repellant treatment, printing and bonding.
* Management and technical leadership for the development and commercialization of fiber and web finishing chemistries and processes.
* Coordinate development and commercialization efforts with Engineering, Operations, Sector groups and customers to ensure achieving near and midterm business objectives.
* Administer Human resource development program within and across department (s) and sector(s), to support short and long-term individual growth and business needs.
* Development of business objectives and strategies by working with Business units, R&D Units, Engineering and Operations.
Associate Res. Fellow, Manager, Research Manager – Neenah WI 1988 – 1993.
* Directed research effort of 19 scientists (9 PhD) on number one problem of a 2 billion dollar per year business.
* Developed and implemented team vision and goals consonant with business needs.
* Prepared operating and capital budgets and forecasts.
* Drove Absorbent Technology Patent Strategy Steering Committee.
* Organized strategic staffing and recruiting, including all chemistry and physics recruiting.
* Initiated, developed, and/or transferred multiple projects to scale up/commercialization.
* Invented surface modification techniques and chemistries that have the potential to save $5
million per year.
* Designed and conducted basic and applied research on chemistry and physics of surfaces.
* Counseled on technical feasibility and business practicality of programs and projects.
* Conceived and developed creative solutions in fluid transport and surface modifications.
* Awarded 10 patents for surface science.
University of Wisconsin Green Bay – Green Bay WI 1991.